Protocol Six Consulting wrote:
Hi,  :-)

I am trying to run a WinXP guest OS on qemu with the -kernel-kqemu command-line option. Kqemu was installed on OBSD using the August 3 Snapshot package, and loads normally on system boot (see end of dmsg)

Running Windoze works fine on qemu *without* the -kernel-kqemu option specified, but when I use that option XP always bluescreens right after a successful (Windows) log-in. In other words I can run kqemu fine in "User Code" mode only.

Still troubleshooting this, but so far I know that the bluescreen does not happen when Windoze is run in Safe Mode (which implies to me that some Windows driver is interacting badly with kqemu "kernel code" mode)

Has anyone else seen this issue?
Any insights and/or solutions?

I created a WinXP guest system one year ago; just out of idle curiosity. WinXP has only one user without password, so login is automatic. There is no additional software installed. I'm running Jul31 snapshot and packages. I ran three tests:

1) Boots fine. checked desktop properties. Shutdown locked up system (had to power cycle). 2) started top first with 1-sec update cycle. WinXP boots fine; shutdown fine. 3) With top still running; bootup locks up system; top stops updating; had to power cycle.

I have a Win98 guest that crashes with -kernel-kqemu
Windows protections error.  You need to restart your computer.

Frank