On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 04:11:25PM +0200, frantisek holop wrote:
> hi there,
>
> in trying to hunt down a hotplugd issue on the eeepc,
> i have come across the following issue.
>
> i use the kern.usermount facility.  i can umount
> anything i have mounted manually.  but if the mounting
> was done by hotplugd or from /etc/fstab at boot time
> (by a root process in one word) even if i have
> everything enabled in order to use usermount the
> umounting operation is not permitted.
>
> this could be seen as a security feature, a bug, or
> possibly both...  if the devices are owned by me, the
> mount point is owned by me, i personally see this as a
> bug and not a feature, after all, this is about users
> mounting/umounting...
>
> from where i stand, this is similar to root creating a
> file with owner set to a user.  this user will be able
> to modify/delete the file, because it doesn't matter
> who created it.
>
> but if this _is_ a feature, perhaps it could be
> mentioned in the manpage or the faq in one form or
> another.

Ok, to mount(and probably unmount) a filesystem as non-root, you must
own the directory, and kern.usermount must be 1.

hotplugd runs as root, so ofcourse it can mount anything it wants, but
you the user, can not probably because you don't own the dir.

I may be wrong.

alias mount="sudo mount"?

--

Best Regards