On 2008-08-30, Girish Venkatachalam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> But this is not how the gmails of this internet currently work. At
>> this point in time, that means either whitelisting those senders you
>> deem a) trustworthy enough to not send you spam and b) important
>> enough to whitelist in the first place. Otherwise you risk missing
>> some mail because they're not retried from the same IP.
>
> Missing mails? This has never happened with me. Delayed yes but not
> missing them.

Then you're lucky. With a large enough pool of senders, or certain
other methods used at some sites (e.g. a couple of fast retries from
the main sending machine, then shunted to a machine with a huge queue
that retries really slowly) it can happen. Bumping greyexp can help.
There are some places I use !spamd for greylisting because of this
(other common ones e.g. milter-greylist and postgrey mask on /24
by default).

Whether you see this or not depends on who sends you mail, and the
size of your site, it's entirely feasible a large site will have
enough correspondents from these sites that these senders stay in
whitelist all the time anyway.

>> host -t TXT _netblocks.google.com | tr ' ' \\n | grep ^ip4 | \
>>         cut -f2 -d':' >> $WHITELIST.new
>
> I get a connection timed out error.

or try _spf.google.com. it's surprising if it fails, it will cause
them trouble getting email out.

... anyway, it should look like this:

216.239.32.0/19
64.233.160.0/19