* Lars Noodin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2008-09-01 10:05]:
> Jeremy Huiskamp wrote:
>
> > No, I meant this:
> > "In order to work correctly, the suexec binary should be owned by
> > ``root''
> > and have the SETUID execution bit set.  OpenBSD currently does not in-
> > stall suexec with the SETUID bit set, so a change of file mode is neces-
> > sary to enable it..."
>
> Thanks.
>
> Interesting.  I thought SUID-root scripts were vulnerable to race
> condition-based vulnerabilities, among other things.  Is that also the
> case for OpenBSD?  If not, why?

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  $ file /usr/sbin/suexec
/usr/sbin/suexec: ELF 64-bit MSB executable, SPARC64, version 1, for
OpenBSD, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped

-> not a script.

> Alternately, how lame would it be to have one suexec per suexec-user and
> have each copy owned by that user?  That would at least avoid having it
> operate as root.

oh holy root, must be avoided at any cost, right.

go read suexec code. even docs would be a good start.

first thing it does after being invoked is dropping privileges to the
target user account.

--
Henning Brauer, [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
BS Web Services, http://bsws.de