From: Philip Guenther <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Stop in line 73 of Makefile
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: "Misc OpenBSD" <misc@openbsd.org>
Date: Sunday, September 7, 2008, 12:32 PM

On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 9:18 AM, Doug Milam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Performing 'make build' as root...there is no 'schg' flag
on /bin/chgrp

> ===> bin/chmod
> install -c -s -o root -g bin  -m 555 chmod /bin/chmod
> strip: Bad address

Umm, that's not an expected error from 'strip' during install.
Your
system appears to suffer all sorts of oddball failures.

> rm: /bin/chgrp: Operation not permitted

unlink("/bin/chgrp") is returning EPERM.  Either you're
installing to
an unusual file system, or the /bin/chgrp file has flags set (you say
no schg, but what about uchg, uappnd, or sappnd?), or your rm binary
is broken/hacked, or your running kernel is broken/hacked.

IMHO, the only way to be sure you have a good system at this point is
to reinstall from scratch via an actual CD.  You never said whether
you found who had used the chflags command on /bsd.  If the answer was
"don't know who", then consider that you're running a system
that has
had root-level changes made that you can't explain and therefore can't
trust, and then ask yourself why you *haven't* already reinstalled
from a CD.

Philip Guenther