On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 4:58 AM, Kevin Neff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Some secure protocols like SSH send encrypted keystrokes
> as they're typed.  By doing timing analysis you can figure
> out which keys the user probably typed (keys that are
> physically close together on a keyboard can be typed
> faster).  A careful analysis can reveal the length of
> passwords and probably some of password itself.
>
> The paper:
>
>  http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?
>  id=1267612.1267637&coll=Portal&dl=GUIDE&CFID=1943417&C
>  FTOKEN=28290455

The paper itself is not accessible. Prima facie, this looked like a
technology-in-search-of-a-problem kinda thing to me. For now, it
sounds like bull.
However, there are atleast 10 references to keystoke
timing/characteristics. That this 'weakness' holds water is a
judgement call. Of course, one can make any kind of conclusion only
after studying the paper/references.

Hari