On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 20:03:00 +0800, Ling Xiaoheng wrote
> Hello,
> I'm newbie in the OpenBSD,I use FreeBSD before.Today I read OpenBSD
> FAQ carefully and have some questions.
>
> In ... Keeping Things in Sync ... On this paragraph's mean,every release
version
> always have a new version packages for it,when new version OpenBSD
> while release,I must upgrade my system from 4.3 to 4.4 then I can
> use the new version software?

With each -release, synchronized packages are published.  When 4.4 is released
in November, you would first upgrade the OS to 4.4, using filesets from
/pub/OpenBSD/4.4/<arch> and the upgrade guide web page ... then you can
upgrade your packages using /pub/OpenBSD/4.4/packages/<arch> and # pkg_add -iu

> 5.2 - Why do I need to compile the system from source?
> ...I'm not  going near the machine.On that mean,I can't
> upgrade my system via compiling,but in the end of this chapter,I
> found "Building a Release" paragraph.May I upgrade my system via
> source code,If I sync OPENBSD_4_3 to OPENBSD_4_4,I change the
> command like this and rebuild system like "Building a Release",is
> that ok? Or have another idea about it?(Because I am not alway's
> near the machine,may be the next release out,I can't upgrade it from
> CD)

Upgrading by compiling source is unsupported.

The upgrade guide for 4.4 will be published on or about November 1.  It will
contain steps to take if you cannot boot the ramdisk kernel and use the
upgrade scripts.

Please review the 4.2->4.3 upgrade guide for an outline of the steps you'll
need to take.  4.3-> 4.4 will be similar.

http://openbsd.rt.fm/faq/upgrade43.html

> "5.3 - Building OpenBSD from source" and "5.4 - Building a Release"
> What's different with them?If I wanna upgrade my system,which one is
> more appropriate for me?

A "release" contains the installable filesets (what you see in
/pub/OpenBSD/<release>/<arch>.  You do not need to make a release unless you
are installing -stable on multiple systems of the same architecture.