On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 10:06:23 -0400
Etienne Robillard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 05:54:18 +0100
> Tomas Bodzar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Just my view as a beginner with this system (or BFU :-)).Using -current or
> > following -stable is easy.I was trying following -current ,but found,that
> > using snapshots is soooooo easy and that following -current is not really
> > good idea for people like me,which are in phase of learning this system.
> >
> > So now I use snapshots on my desktop at home and in Qemu.I have -release
> > only in MS Virtual Server for some databases needed for testing.And this is
> > not so important,so I can wait for next -release with upgrade.
> >
> > Tomas
> >

> Hi Tomas,
>
> Yeah me too I used to track -current, since I think this was the only way I
> managed
> to run successfully the rtw driver with my nic (a netgear something, aka el
> cheapo).
>
> I recalled that I must have managed to compile 4.3-current for that specific
> purpose,
> otherwise I'd experiment the same (moderately frustrating) problem with
> dhclient(8).
>
> Although it used to work with my all messed up 4.3-current, I've nuked the
> whole /usr
> filesystem and reinstalled OpenBSD 4.3, in hope that the 4.3-release iso
> would have
> the right code for this cheap ass nic card. It seems I will have to wait on
> 4.4-release,
> or perhaps I could take a guess and pick another snapshot and burn it on a
> cd, or even
> debug rtw armed with my guts and dr pepper :-)
>
> Thanks!
>
> - Etienne

Ok so it rtw works fine with OpenBSD 3.9. I believe it used to work in 4.2 too,
but I'm still
amazed that neither 4.3 nor 4.4 managed to work for me with this driver.

Ah well, I'm back in 2005 a.d. I'd be interested in tracing when/where exactly
rtw has become
bogus in 4.3/4.4. My hypothesis is that somehow the semantics of the ieee80211
stack have
changed radically between 3.9 -> 4.3, thus making the rtw driver unfunctional
with dhclient.

I also recall a similar issue in FreeBSD 8.0, where a pseudo-device `vlan' is
used for doing
link aggregation. Perhaps the `trunk' pseudo-device is having the same issues
than for configuring
dhclient with the vlan device ?

Best regards,
Etienne