Dear my mail,

On Sep 17 08:49:34, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> Because you just ran "make", not "make package" or "make install".

see ports(7), sections TARGETS.

Running just 'make' is equivalent to running 'make all', which is also
aliased as 'make build'. This just compiles the port, and does not
install anything anywhere; in particular, it does not copy anything
into /usr/ports/packages.

So, if you just run 'make' in .../jdk/1.5, you now have it build
(in ./w-jdk-1.5.0.14), and that's all.

Only after you run 'make package' is a package created in
/usr/ports/packages. Running 'make install' depends on 'make package'.

Your memory probably plays tricks with you about how you installed 1.5.

        Jan