On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 03:40:09AM +0200, Robert Urban wrote:
| Hi folks,
|
| OS Env: OBSD4.3 running on a dual-PIII (ProLiant 380).
|
| I've got a perl/CGI script doing a bunch of stuff (talking to PostgreSQL,
| writing files, etc) which is dying with SIGSEGV, but only occasionally.  I'm
| unable to reproduce the death outside of the chrooted env manually.  I did,
| however, manage to get a ktrace of a good and a bad run.  (see below).  I
| set up the chroot environment by copying all relevent files for perl to
| /var/www. The SIGSEGV's started after I made some minor changes to the
| script, and if I make yet other changes, such as adding debugging code, the
| nasty behaviour stops.  I doubt the script (and modules it uses) are
| relevent, but someone thinks they might shed some light on the problem, I
| can make them available. Naturally, I can make the complete ktrace/kdump
| files available as well, if anybody wants to see them.  Access to the
| machine is also no problem.
|
| Is there any hope of tracking down this kind of error?

A shot in the dark here .. but can you verify you have enough memory
available for use ? Check ulimit .. maybe the chrooted env is running
as a user with lower ulimits. Try upping those.

Other than that, SIGSEGV's are often caused by bad hardware (bad
memory, notably), but I'd be surprised if you only hit that in the
chroot case. You may still want to check your machine though.

Cheers,

Paul 'WEiRD' de Weerd

                 http://www.weirdnet.nl/