From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Stuart Henderson
Sent: Wednesday, September 24, 2008 1:55 PM
To: misc@openbsd.org
Subject: Re: Does OpenBSD only allow 19 Interfaces

On 2008-09-24, Carl Horne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have put all my eggs in this basket so I am desperate to get this fixed.
> This may only be a tcpdump issue.  If I have 19 interfaces tcpdump works as
> expected.  If I have 20 or more it fails.
>
> First I try with 20 interfaces setup and I get:
>  # tcpdump -nttt -i bge0
>  tcpdump: Failed to open bpf device for bge0: No such file or directory

I can't replicate if I just create 30 lo* interfaces and run
tcpdump..  do you have other tcpdump running? how many bpf are
in use? (fstat|grep bpf) - you know they need device nodes in
/dev and by default you get 10?

> I need to have around 50 total interfaces to complete the project and I
need
> tcpdump.  Pf still seems to find them for redirects so I am not sure if
it's
> an OS issue or a tcpdump issue.

More likely tcpdump/bpf. I think it's highly probable that there
are people here running with many more interfaces (at least vlan)
than that.

> OpenBSD xxxx.xxx.xxx 4.1 GENERIC.MP#1152 amd64

PF has improved greatly since 4.1, by the way.