Hello,

After much reading of man pages, FAQs and googling, I have come up against a dead end. I have a dual redundant CARP setup on 2 sparc64 boxes running 4.3, with an Ovislink OV303 ADSL bridge for internet connectivity. All ports are connected to the bridge with a procurve 1800-24g semi-intelligent switch. The problems are that the multicast CARP packets are getting forwarded over the bridge and running up my very limited bandwidth cap (which, of course, is no one's problem but my own) and more importantly is causing my ADSL connection to be dropped every 10-15 minutes. The tech at the ISP diagnosed the problem, and I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't verified the behaviour myself. As soon as I disable CARP on the external interface and the CARP announce packets stop, the connection stays up for days. With CARP running, I would sometimes be down for hours, with the ADSL connection going up for a second, and dropping right away. I tried to do multicast filtering on the ADSL port, but my switch isn't intelligent enough, and the ADSL device won't filter in bridge mode. The only thing I could think to do is to put the 2 CARP ports on a seperate VLAN and route the CARP multicast packets through that, but my attempts to use pf to rdr the multicast packets to a separate vlan0 interface have not been successful. Is there a magical way to resolve my situation without buying a more expensive switch? I thought it would be worth asking before shutting up and hacking together a possibly stupid VLAN tagging solution in ip_carp.
Thanks for your patience.

   -Brian Marshall