On 2008-10-13, Daniel Bareiro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Brad.
>
>>> There are issues with re(4) which are being worked on, use a snapshot
>>> instead.
>
>> There are not "issues with re(4) which are being worked on" which
>> pertain to this issue. The problem mentioned by the original poster is
>> an issue with the (emulated) RTL8139 driver provided by QEMU which KVM
>> is derived from. The driver does not fully emulate the hw by default
>> unless compiled with a particular define, in this case it is the timer
>> interrupt. This needs to be fixed upstream with QEMU and then also bug
>> the KVM developers to copy the change over to their source tree.
>
> I was looking for the bug report in Qemu but I could not find it. You
> have some link to be able to have a reference and track its state?

No, but there's a nice post about it here.
http://forums.citrix.com/thread.jspa?messageID=1343896&tstart=0

OpenBSD and FreeBSD both have this defined in their respective
ports trees.

http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/ports/emulators/qemu/patches/patch-hw_rtl8139_c?rev=1.4
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/emulators/qemu/files/rtl8139-re-patch?rev=1.1

> It's peculiar that testing both Linux distributions and Windows XP, I
> did not have this problem using the same network card.

Not really. Not all drivers for the same hardware work the same way.