very sorry, mangled my reply and didn't catch it.

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 11:15:27AM -0400, Christopher Linn wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 10:59:00AM -0400, Brad Tilley wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 9:35 AM, Julian Leyh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > make already knows how to compile C files, no need to call the
> > > compiler yourself ;)
> >
> > On 4.4 i386 make does this:
> >
> > $ make cpuid.c && ./cpuid
> > `cpuid.c' is up to date.
> > ksh: ./cpuid: not found
> >
> > It does not produce a cpuid executable.
>
> should be
>
> $ make cpui
> cpuid.c
[...]

that should have been:

$ ls
cpuid.c
$ make cpuid
cc -O2 -pipe    -o cpuid cpuid.c
$ ls
cpuid   cpuid.c
$ file *
cpuid:   ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1, for OpenBSD, dynamically
linked (uses shared libs), not stripped
cpuid.c: ASCII C program text
$ ./cpuid
Found 686 class CPU with CPUID support.
[...lots of stuff...]

--
Christopher Linn <celinn at mtu.edu>  | By no means shall either the CEC
System Administrator II               | or MTU be held in any way liable