Amarendra Godbole schrieb:
Hello misc@

My IBM (Lenovo) X60 laptop heats up considerably and the battery also
discharges faster, when I boot into OpenBSD. This does not seem to be
the case when I boot it into Windows XP.

The relevant temperature sysctls are:
hw.sensors.acpitz0.temp0=73.05 degC (zone temperature)
hw.sensors.acpitz1.temp0=72.05 degC (zone temperature)
hw.sensors.cpu0.temp0=72.00 degC
hw.sensors.aps0.temp0=52.00 degC
hw.sensors.aps0.temp1=52.00 degC

dmesg is put up at http://www.obscure.org/~amunix/tmp/dmesg

OpenBSD 4.4-current (kernel) #0: Mon Oct 27 11:37:30 IST 2008
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/home/amar/site-specific/builds/kernel

What and why did you change the kernel? try with generic.

try enabling/disabling acpi/apm...

I did read about SpeedStep, and slowing down the processor so that it consumes
less power - so I am going to try it out by tweaking sysctl "hw.cpuspeed" and
changing it from 1829 to 1000, but I am not sure if this would solve
the problem.

Has anyone encountered something similar? If yes, I'd appreciate tips
to fix this
(apart from the SpeedStepping stuff -- will post my findings. Thanks).

-Amarendra