On Sun, Nov 02, 2008 at 07:31:04AM +0530, Girish Venkatachalam wrote:
> On 13:36:22 Nov 01, Chris Kuethe wrote:
> > As long as your filesystems are still readable, you can use a more
> > comfortable tool:
> >
> > mount /dev/wd0a /mnt
> > mount /dev/wd0d /mnt/var
> > mount /dev/wd0e /mnt/usr
> > /mnt/usr/sbin/chroot /mnt
> > vi (or mg) /etc/fstab
> >
> > you could possibly even just copy your fstab from your freshly mounted
> > /var (/var/backups/etc_fstab.*)
> >

> This is what I was also wondering Chris. I always vi in single user
> mode. Or since I have an NFS mount on my network I mount it thro' NFS
> after assigning a static IP (DHCP does not work) and work.
>
> I have never had to use ed either in single user mode or for scripting.

While that may be true, it does not take much imaginination
to see that another's circumstances may create such a need,
or a desire.

That said, I do not (and did not) want to denigrate the use
of vi(m), mg, emacs or whatever, if someone feels the need
for a screen editor, just like I would not want to denigrate
the use of Ted, KWord, or whatever, if someone feels the need
for a word processor.  These appear to me as personal choices.

cheers,
-wb