Rafael Cunha de Almeida wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm having trouble booting my new opebsd installation. I was able to
> boot usihg the CD and I tried to use installboot to record the
> biosboot to the PBR. I booted with -s option, so I'd start in single
> user mode and I mounted /usr to /mnt/.
>
> Then I did:
>       % /mnt/mdec/installboot /boot /mnt/mdec/biosboot sd0
>       installboot: broken MBR

What you describe is not clear.
Why you are trying to do what you are trying to do is also unclear.

IF you booted from the CD, you were running bsd.rd, so /boot
would be on the ramdisk, and you were trying to put hooks to the
ramdisk's /boot into sd0's PBR.  Hopefully, it's clear why that
won't work, though if that is your only problem, the error message
is a bit cryptic.

IF you used the CD to boot the OS off the disk, don't know why you
mounted /usr to a strange location, or booted single user mode, etc.

(and if you did boot bsd.rd off the CD, not sure why you wanted to
go "single user".  Probably doesn't change much, since bsd.rd isn't
really multi-user, anyway)

hm. also interesting: that prompt you show.  Something is fishy.

> I also tried:
>       % /mnt/mdec/installboot /boot /mnt/mdec/biosboot sd0a
>       installboot: superblock: devread: lseek: invalid argument

same problem, plus an additional one, sd0a is not right.

> I have grub currently installed on MBR. OpenBSD is on
> linux's /dev/sda2. Does anyone know what could be wrong? Of course, I'd
> like it better if I don't have to destroy in order to get this
> working :-).

1) you are using the commands wrong.
2) I don't know why you are even trying to use those commands.

What is prompting you to try to install your own boot loader?
Obviously, you think there is a problem, but I don't know why,
and why this problem occurred in the first place needs to be
investigated.  The boot loader is normally installed by the
installation process, if something went wrong there, we really
should look at what and why.

Nick.