On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 11:54:14AM -0500, Brynet wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> It's very difficult to decide which list this belongs on, sorry for the noise.

ports@ would be the correct place.  the one thing in common is that these
are all ports/packages.

> Something introduced in 4.4 has triggered a regression of some sort
> when watching XviD encoded videos in VLC/MPlayer or even the
> simplified ffplay utility.

if it is only "XviD" files, then probably something in libavcodec's
"XviD" support changed.

mplayer uses it's own copy of libavcodec, but it is rather close to
the copy in the ffmpeg port, which is used by vlc.

oh, multimedia/xvidcore was updated just before 4.4 ... but ffmpeg
doesn't use libxvidcore, while mplayer does ... hmmmm ....

you do know "XviD"/"DivX" is just a mutation of MPEG-4?  mplayer/ffmpeg
have lots and lots of options relating to mpeg4.

<rant>
I never use XviD/DivX, because imo it is just silly to have yet another
MPEG-4 variant, and extra dumb to try to chase a "closed" mpeg4
mutation (DivX) in an "open" project (XviD).
</rant>

check this out: http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xvid

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]