After a few upgrades; I noticed that new users added with useradd(8) (using commands in upgradeXX.htm) are created with 13 asterisks in passwd field. During a new install only one asterisk is placed in this field for system users. I was curious about this difference and feeling a bit adventurous; so I changed them all from 13 to 1 (including some created for packages).

The next day; there is a message in "daily insecurity output":

Checking the /etc/master.passwd file:
Login _pgsql is off but still has a valid shell and alternate access files in home directory are still readable.

When I need to login (rarely) as _pgsql; I use "sudo su - _pgsql". Since I don't need to have a password on this user; I changed _pgsql back to 13 asterisks.

I looked at /etc/security - at about line 40 and following there is a statement that bypasses the test for shell and home directory if the password is 13 characters.

Finally, the point...

I was thinking that new users added in upgradeXX should have only one asterisk instead of 13; so that /etc/security will produce warning if these users somehow have shells in the future?

Frank