Seems to me we are not looking at the good direction.
I seem to understand that the problem is multi-booting, with OSes possibly on multiple
physical devices.
It also seems that the starting point is a Lunixish advocating of having a /boot partition handling *all* parameters for all OSes, which is presomptuous or a misplaced ego at least. Each new installtion of an OS needs the controlling /boot/grub/menus.lst to be mounted and sudo edited (or worse, GRUB re-installed) before beeing able to boot that new OS.

Very likely, GNU GRUB Legacy is used and installed in the /boot volume.
So why not use it?

With GRUB you can:
map drives (tell from which to really boot from)
hide/unhide partitions (i.e.: have two OpenBSD installs on the same drive)
make partitions active
chainload partitions
have many instances of grub, each in its own volume, handling all specific OSes automaticly
write their specific kernel parametes

Key is to install the OSes to boot from their own partition and to never re-write the MBR.
Only one OS should be allowed to write one mbr, be it NTLDR, GAG, GRUB.
With Lilo and GRUB, you may chose to install the boot record in the (mis-named) partition
boot record (PBR) which is more like a volume boot record.
grub> setup (hd,x)
grub> install (hd,x)
Then, chainload.
Title whatever
root (hd,y)
chainloader +1
boot
And leave it to the OS specific boot pocesses to have it their specific way with their
specific boot.conf or menu.lst or init.

More on GRUB, check this (Ubuntuish but extensive) http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/ Don't miss the MBR description http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/p6.htm which tells you you only should rewrite only the first 446 bytes of the MBR, leaving the rest (the four DOS/Intel
partition table) unchanged unless you know what you are doing.