Denny White wrote:
> I've always tried to do a fresh install any time possible,
> and then copy all my backed up /home and /data stuff back
> to the new installed system. I'm just trying to figure out
> if there's a way to keep those 2 slices intact while wiping
> out and recreating everything else, i.e., /usr, /var, & /tmp.
> I rebooted on the new 4.4 install cd and tried to see if there
> was a different way to go about things but couldn't figure it
> out there. I read up on disklabel & fdisk & googled around for
> a couple of days before asking the list. So, if someone knows
> where I can find some info on it, I'd really appreciate it.

Just don't define mount points for the partitions you wish to
keep, and they won't be newfs'd (i.e., existing data will be
preserved).

AFTER the install, you will go in and edit /etc/fstab and add
your "saved" partitions.  Ta-da! your data is back.

Have a backup anyway, of course.  Sucks to fat-finger something
in the process...

Nick.