> I power cycled the server after my users went home, checked the cables,
> and after about a hour's worth of hair-pulling nvram/disk configuration
> mismatches I finally got the system back up with sd0 in degraded mode
> and the other two optimal.

yay

> Brought the system up to the most recent snapshot and did a bioctl -H
> 1:0 sd0 and the rebuild kicked off immediately.

double yay

> So it looks like 0:9 is still a bad disk--I'll try to check that out
> tomorrow in the new server.

You can rebuild 2 drives at the same time.

> The cables were all tight connections but I wonder about the quality.
> They are both loose bundled round cables with 5 connectors but I'm only
> using one for the safte.  They were what I  had at the time, but I'd
> sure take an suggestions for a good vendor and to get some really good
> cables.

Oh man these cables can be real bad.  Since I am not familiar with this
enclosure I'll give you some general ideas.

If it is an external enclosure, never EVER use these cables.  In fact if
that cable isn't inside a box directly connected to ONLY disks then you
are using it wrong.  You can only have a point to point connection to
an expander and I'll assume that your enclosure has one (if not send it
back because that means that there is too much distance between the
computer and the drives cable+trace wise!)  For the EE folks, these
connectors are counted as an electrical load and must be at least 10cm
apart.  Any obstruction will cause reflections that'll have all kinds of
cute issues.

This said if this cable connects the motherboard to an internal
backplane you want a cable with 2 connectors only!  Although it speaks
for the quality if they use a cable instead of routing the traces to the
backplane through some sort of riser.

Go spend a good amount of cash on an Amphenol U320 round cable with
adequate shielding and metal connectors.  No plastic or shrunk plastic
connectors since those tend to get deformed and get cocked upon
insertion.  Also the shrunk plastic cables do not have the correct bend
radius and they tend to be flat where the cable meets the connector this
causes first of all signal integrity issues and secondly they break.
You want a cable that curves very evenly and naturally.
Here is an example:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Dell-FJ114-PowerVault-220S-221S-Ultra320-SCSI-Cable_W0QQitemZ370108029532QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPCA_Cables_Adapters?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

Note: I am in no way shape of form endorsing buying SCSI cables of ebay!
It is an example only!  Pins can be easily bent and who knows what might
have happened to it in the past.

Your SCSI rig is only as good as your cables.  Always remember that.  It
isn't uncommon to spend a couple hundred on a good cable.