Whyzzi wrote:
Just wondering if anyone else on the list that has a realtek 8169s and
running 4.4 release and able to run a GigE connection from their
OpenBSD box to another GigE device, if they can maintain a complete
connection when they force the re driver via ifconfig to 1000baseT.

Incase you are wondering I do have both a GigE windows machine and
generic unmanaged GigE switch. I did change the physical network cable
between the switch and the re rj45 jack with no effect. And plugging
re directly into my GigE windows box had the driver attempt to make a
connection, fail, and retry continuously (though I did not use a
cross-over cable nor try a different network cable -- time was
somewhat limited).

I skimmed cvs-web on the re driver and didn't see any posts related to
behaviour.

Flames welcome!

No flames...just a question: why are you doing this?

At 10Mb/s and 100Mb/s there are good reasons to fix media speed and duplex, but I don't know of any reason to do so at 1000Mb/s. While most previous Ethernet specs did not require or standardize auto-negotiation, the 1000Base-T spec does both. My experiences have been that working against the spec and attempting to fix speed or duplex in 1000baseT environments causes exactly the sorts of weird problems you are describing here.

(Also, there is no longer a need for "cross-over" cables in the 1000Mb/s world either...polarity detection is also a part of the 1000baseT spec.)

-J