Maurice Janssen wrote:
> On Thursday, November 20, 2008 at 20:07:02 -0800, Jon wrote:
>>the /etc/hostname.em0 has 'inet <static IP> 255.255.255.0 NONE' in it.

wrong subnet mask, so I am going to guess anything else you have
could be wrong, too, but that's the right syntax, a broadcast is
NOT needed for a simple config.  If you wish to specify other
options, then yes, you will need a broadcast, but that's not
what you are doing here.

>>I can resolve using the gateway as my nameserver in /etc/resolve.conf
>>
>>the thing won't allow any traffic to go out - I am trying to ping
>>yahoo.com...
>>
>>But if i update /etc/hostname.em0 to DHCP and do a dhclient - it work.. No
>>issue.
>
> Then stick to DHCP.  Why do you want to hardcode the IP to hostname.em0?

probably because he wants to be on the "outside" of his router.
This is how it is done with at least one variant of the Comcast
cable service.  If you use DHCP, you end up behind the router, if
you use the assigned addresses, you end up outside the router. It
seems to be one of those things they figure if you don't ask any
questions or think about it, it's easy.  Think about it, you end
up on the phone with a few layers of tech support -- the first
one punches into your router and "reconfigures it", screwing it
beyond his ability to fix.  Then you get handed up-stream to
someone who knows his stuff who says, "oh, just use the static
addresses you were given, you don't need to reconfigure the
modem, it works, trust me".  d'oh.  It does. :)

>>What I am doing wrong or missing ?
>
> It's very well possible that the DHCP request does a lot more on the
> other end than just send you an IP.  (set a route to your end, for
> example).
> Without the DHCP request, this won't happen, hence the problems you're
> seeing.

bah.  If you set it right, you don't need DHCP.  However, seeing
what DHCP set for you is sometimes interesting, though I doubt it
in this case.

Start with no PF, and from the OpenBSD machine, ping the gateway.
(failure means your basic config is wrong).  Then ping an IP
address outside your network that exists (failure means the
gateway address you are using is not really a gateway).  If
that works, then ping by name (if that fails, its your DNS
resolver).  Don't worry about stuff BEHIND your OpenBSD machine
until the OpenBSD machine works fine.

What you are saying about your DNS resolver selection sounds
wrong...but is completely unspecific, so I can't verify.
I can be pretty sure that your gateway isn't coincidently one
of Comcast's DNS resolvers.

Nick.