I managed to find my old powerbook yesterday and copied the
sources on a pen drive.

Kinda looks like a time capsule for me. Openbsd complained about
being initialized after 600+ days...

As I said before, this program has worked for me. It was a single
installation and only two admins...

A single connection to a specific port enables ssh by adding
the source IP to a white list. Another connection to other port
removes the access.

It could be written in a smarter way and also could have lots
of features (like timing expiration) but it would be overkill for
our need.

enjoy!

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 3:49 PM, Marcus Andree <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I've written a small program about 5 years ago. It was a daemon that
> implemented a
>  service similar to  "port knocking" but entirely in user level,
> calling pfctl by exec()
> system calls to insert/remove remote IP addresses in a pf table holding
> machines
> able to connect to the ssh daemon via port 22.
>
> It was a ugly hack but it worked for us. I shall have a backup copy somewhere
> on
> my powerbook at home...
>
> On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 3:33 PM, Charlie Clark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have noticed that people constantly try to brute force sshd on my openbsd
>> box, on my server I use fail2ban to prevent this and wondered if there is a
>> similar solution for openbsd.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> --
>>
>> Charlie Clark
>> Network Engineer
>>
>> Lemon Computing Ltd
>> Unit 9
>> 26-28 Priests Bridge
>> London
>> SW14 8TA
>> UK
>>
>> Tel: +44 208 878 2138
>> Fax: +44 208 878 2163
>> Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> Site: http://www.lemon-computing.com/
>>
>> Lemon Computing is a limited company registered in England & Wales under
>> Company No. 03697052

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/x-gzip which had a name
of portctrl.tar.gz]