Rod Whitworth wrote:
For a BGP project I'm working on, I have enables bgplg using the steps
outlined in the manpage.

The stuff that gets results using bgpctl shows valid data for all the
choices that I'd expect to have anything showing without actually being
on line. e.g. the summary and memory choices.

Although I did not miss step 2 (resolve.conf) or the FILES bit about
SUID ping and traceroute, both of those commands return "failed". Even
a ping to the router's NIC address.

pf is disabled.

So, what <did> I miss?
You missed reading the misc@ archives.
See my answer three weeks ago:
http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=122670411001369&w=2

Also, is "failed" a response that either the ping or traceroute utilities would ever respond with?
No. That should clue you in that this is not a network problem.

You also (like Ivo, three weeks ago) missed including any relevant troubleshooting info.

-Tico