Ditto.

This has just caused me the same problems. Alex at Hurricane Electric found this for me, and my ipv4 BGP sessions have *only* stabilized after filtering out this prefix (4.4-RELEASE on i386).

I'll post up MRT dumps if anyone's interested.
-Tico

Peter Bristow wrote:
Hi All,

The AS at the company I work for running (OpenBSD 4.2 and 4.3) as well as
the AS run by a associate of mine (OpenBSD 4.4) experienced rather wild
route flaps earlier today. Quoted from Andy Davidson's post to nanog.

"It seems that the prefix causing OpenBGPd speakers to die is
91.207.218.0/23, which is originated by a 4-byte ASN speaker.

OpenBGPd is checking AS4_PATH to ensure that it contains only AS_SET and
AS_SEQUENCE types, as per RFC4893.  When processing the UPDATE for
91.207.218.0/23 it sees :

91.207.218.0/23
 Path Attributes - Origin: Incomplete
 Flags: 0x40 (Well-known, Transitive, Complete)
 Origin: Incomplete (2)
 AS_PATH: xx xx 35320 23456 (13 bytes)
 AS4_PATH: (65044 65057) 196629 (7 bytes)

RFC4893 is clear on the matter :

"
  To prevent the possible propagation of confederation path segments
  outside of a confederation, the path segment types AS_CONFED_SEQUENCE
  and AS_CONFED_SET [RFC3065] are declared invalid for the AS4_PATH
  attribute.
"

OpenBGPd is therefore dropping the sessions when this update is received.
 Unideal if this attribute is learned on multiple upstreams...

The impact today is fairly limited as there are relatively few bgp speakers
honouring the 4-byte ASN protocol extension rules, but as code that support
these features creeps around the internet, the next time this happens the
impact could be much greater, so we need to understand which implementation
of which BGP software caused this illegal origination.

Modifying the OpenBGPd software to permit AS_CONFED_SEQUENCE, AS_CONFED_SET
in an as4_path causes the path to be accepted and the session is not torn
down.  This isn't a great fix."
From looking at the source this would appear to be
'expected' behavior however it does leave you without any internet
connectivity. I'm not as much of a BGP guru as I should be but what would be
the impact of dropping the route/update rather than dropping the session?

Pete Bristow