Hi all,

I'm about to build a router using a Sun Fire X2200, which comes with 4
on-board gigabit ethernet interfaces:

nfe0 at pci0 dev 8 function 0 "NVIDIA MCP55 LAN" rev 0xa3
eephy0 at nfe0 phy 2: Marvell 88E1149 Gigabit PHY, rev. 1
nfe1 at pci0 dev 9 function 0 "NVIDIA MCP55 LAN" rev 0xa3
eephy1 at nfe1 phy 3: Marvell 88E1149 Gigabit PHY, rev. 1

bge0 at pci6 dev 4 function 0 "Broadcom BCM5715" rev 0xa3, BCM5715 A3
brgphy0 at bge0 phy 1: BCM5714 10/100/1000baseT PHY, rev. 0
bge1 at pci6 dev 4 function 1 "Broadcom BCM5715" rev 0xa3, BCM5715 A3
brgphy1 at bge1 phy 1: BCM5714 10/100/1000baseT PHY, rev. 0

Given I will need one to be a trunk port to a cisco switch, which will
carry the bulk of the data, and one to be the pfsync link to its CARP
twin, and possibly a management interface on a third, I was wondering if
there's any difference between the two chips, eg bge does more work and
uses fewer interrupts, so use that for the trunk, or similar? I have
seen discussions on here on which NICs to choose for the best router
performance, but I was wondering if anyone knew of any noticeable
differences between the ones I already have.

SD