Hi,

thanks for answering. I have some comments, though:

On Wed, 17.12.2008 at 07:33:19 -0700, Duncan Patton a Campbell
<campb...@neotext.ca> wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 13:40:35 +0100 Toni Mueller <openbsd-m...@oeko.net> wrote:
> > I have question regarding Ethernet flow control. It would be nice to be
> > able to see and/or adjust the current flow control configuration for
> > individual interfaces from the command line, at 100 and 1000MBit/s. My
> > interfaces usually use the fxp(4) or em(4) drivers. I dimly remember
> > having seen such a thing somewhere ("tx_pause,rx_pause"), but can't
> > find it right now. Checking my machines did not turn up anything.
>
> This sort of thing is usually controlled by firmware and os driver
> access is inherently limited to "known good" parameters.  To play
> with this stuff you will prob'ly need cards that allow you download
> your own (modded) firmware.

if my dealer is correct, at least some/most/all of the em(4) (server)
cards allow downloading firmware, required for enabling them to netboot
via PXE, or to talk iSCSI instead.

The intel control utility for Windows that came with my 10-years-old
fxp(4) cards allowed to adjusting such parameters (and much more).

In any case, I want control over these parameters to improve
interoperability with (currently) one special application where I only
control one end (GRMPF!).

A "sane default" seems to be to turn these two parameters on, but I
can't see nor set what's going on.

I have experienced random loss of connectivity with one piece of gear
because the other box (Lucent MetroWAN) seems to sometimes just get
jammed, according to the current theory, and often doesn't recover.

If someone can recommend a switch that features this kind of control,
your advice is much welcome, too.

Kind regards,
--Toni++