Jeremy Bowen wrote:
Doh! <facepalm>
After sleeping on this overnight I've discovered a misconfigured server.
All working as desired now.

Too embarrassing to share for the archives? :-9

Apologies for the noise.

On 12/18/2008, "Jeremy Bowen" <jer...@smartpoint.co.nz> wrote:

I have a problem with mod_gzip not compressing output from httpd

My System is:
OpenBSD 4.4 (GENERIC) #1021: Tue Aug 12 17:16:55 MDT 2008
dera...@i386.openbsd.org:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC

I'm running the stock httpd however it is not chrooted
httpd_flags = "-u -DSSL"

# httpd -v
Server version: Apache/1.3.29 (Unix)

I've installed mod_gzip as a package:
# pkg_info mod_gzip
Information for inst:mod_gzip-1.3.26.1ap2

I have copied the sample mod_gzip.conf into /var/www/conf/modules and
have stopped and started apache.

I've tested that mod_gzip is recognised by the server by fetching
http://www.smartpoint.co.nz/mod_gzip_status
which returns:

mod_gzip is available...
mod_gzip_version = 1.3.26.1a
mod_gzip_on = Yes

I'm attempting to test this from:
http://www.whatsmyip.org/mod_gzip_test/
Unfortunately indicates that none of my files/traffic is being gzip'ed.

In /var/www/conf/modules/mod_gzip.conf I've enabled
mod_gzip_keep_workfiles       Yes
Minimum file-size: 500
Max: 500000
I have commented out any mod_gzip_item_exclude entries.

There are no working files in /tmp. Nor are there any entries in
/var/www/logs/mod_gzip.log

I'm running with Virtual hosting if that makes a difference.

I've even tried telnetting to port 80 to fetch a suitable text or html
file and issuing an:
"Accept-Encoding: gzip"
command but that also fails to gzip the file. (I successfully get the
uncompressed file though).

Any ideas on how to debug this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Jeremy