All:

Back in 01/2006, circa 3.8, there was a thread related to the use of gre(4) and Transport Mode ipsec(4) in isakmpd(8) to protect v4 tunnels.

There was a repeatable kernel panic related to gre(4) packets needing a smaller MTU as they are encapsualted in ipsec(4) packets, before being transmited.

I haven't looked if we have support, but gre(4) w/ ipv6 address and stf(4) seem to be best options out there for secure v6 tunnels.

That is, explicitly, gre(4) inside ipv6, since we dont' have stf(4).

I can revisit that bug in our lab, except with a slightly larger encapsulation packet overhead :)

I'm wondering if a tranditional ipv6 isakmp(8) ipsec tunnel (using IPv4 enpoints?!) is a safe alternative, or what other solutions people are cooking up on OpenBSD for tunneling IPv6 security.

Thanks for your feedback and safe holidays to all!

~BAS