Ed Ahlsen-Girard wrote:
`ftp -ia ftp://host.domain/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/architecture/*.tgz`;

Using system () does not get any different behavior, whether I pass a
list or a proper array. In all cases I see a connection to the server, followed by a complaint of an invalid directory, and disconnection.

I don't use snapshots; but I used similar code to get packages.

Why use a list/array? I use this code to get a single/multiple files using wildcards instead. I made a slight mod to my script to test snapshots.

my $get = shift;
system( 'ftp -ia ftp://'.$site.'/pub/OpenBSD/'.$ver.'/packages/'.$arch.'/'.$get );

Did you remember to escape the asterisk if passing that into script?

./script \*.tgz