Thanks for the responses! I'll look into KVM and VMWare, and possibly
some of the others. From the variety of responses it sounds like
VirtualBox is the only virtualization software that *doesn't* work with
OpenBSD though.

Strangely enough, after asking my question, i reinstalled OpenBSD in
VirtualBox with slightly different settings and now it is working just
fine. I've managed to build a -stable release. I haven't tried running
X, but just being able to compile is good enough for now. The settings
i used that work on my machine are VirtualBox' defaults except for
turning on VT-x/AMD-V, and within the VM i added softdep to the mount
options in fstab.