HiHi Ted!

/dev/wd1j       /home-b ext2fs  rw,nodev,nosuid 1 2
/dev/wd0i       /400    ext2fs  rw,nodev,nosuid 1 2

I would not recommend using ext2fs for long term storage.  It's fine
for migration, but not intended to be a primary store.

Yep that's in my list of TTD but the more basic drive/partition migration comes first.

Would it be 'better' to migrate /etc/passwd as described in http://openbsd.rt.fm/faq/faq9.html#passwd, which I have already built files for but not installed, or should I adduser them all from scratch and let the system take care of UIDs and groups.

Certainly, you are less likely to screw anything up by running adduser a few times compared to trying a bulk update, but then the user IDs aren't likely to match the ones on disk and fixing that later may pose trouble (wrong permissions).

Sure they definitely won't match. What I meant was:

If I recreate users, then it's fully compatible. But I need to chmod the whole /home/* to match the new ID numbers, though that's not a big deal by script.

From the new passwd file I can extract all the names, IDs, and /home
paths, and edit that down to a script with a ton of chown -R (not chmod as I said above.)

TY Have a :) day!

Jim

--
j...@jbarchuk.com