Hi Ivo,

Ivo Chutkn wrote on Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 09:43:06PM +0200:

> I noticed strange thing on one of my OpenBSD 4.4 box.
> The directory /usr/src is empty except two patches I downloaded today and
> a file called Oops.rje.

This is very funny, thanks for the good laugh!

In German, the phrase "Herrje!" means "Oh my god!".
When you try to pronounce "rje", it sounds exactly like "Herrje".
Thus, "Oops.rje" is really nice.   =:c)

But, no more kidding, "Oops.rej" is a reject file written
by patch(1) when it cannot find the file to patch.  For more details,
search the patch(1) manual page for the string ".rej".

> The content of this file is at the end.
> I tried to apply security fix 007 and it ended with "File to patch:"
> Then I noticed that the /usr/src is empty.

Well, patching source code you never installed will not work.
You should first extract the source tarball into /usr/src
before you start patching...

Try to at least roughly understand the commands you are typing.
Otherwise, you will never have have a secure and very rarely
a working system...  ;-(

> Is it at all possible or someone broke in?

Nobody can exclude that the box was broken in.
But the above does not contain any hint that there might have
been a break-in, so _probably_, the box is not compromised.

> I receive daily output and did not notice any unknown or strange changes.

Very probably, your attempt to patch non-existent source code
broke nothing.  Just remove the contents of /usr/src,
install the sources from your CD set, and retry.
Also, have a look at

  http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq10.html#Patches

Yours,
  Ingo