On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 2:08 PM, Jon <hyperma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi
>  my primary openBSD 4.4  (dell) machine stopped working... Some issue with
> mother board or power supply (don't know - don't care) .. however - I have
> another machine available
>
> 2 questions
>
> 1. can I replace my dell primary openBSD disk on a HP/IBM machines and
> expect everything to work fine ? I have basic install only... and added
> packages for http (php etc). Meaning swapping of the disks ? will that work
> ? I know I can try and see (and I will) but  if you know - that will help.

Yes. Just boot off it and go. Make sure you have a monitor and
keyboard handy because, as already mentioned, if you have different
NICs you will need to rename your hostname.if files.

> 1.1 - if that won't work - will it work if I do an upgrade and install the
> same version - to get the right drivers for nic cards, videos etc ?

OpenBSD doesn't really have drivers that you can upgrade into. If a
driver exists for your hardware it will already be there, if it
doesn't exist there's nothing you can do (except for writing the
driver yourself and submitting the patches, but I don't think you'd be
interested in that).

> 2.  If that won't work - cool. I will re-install OpenBSD on another machine
> and I have a kit to make the orig disks as a USB disk - now how do I mount
> that... and how can I read that.. I am a BSD fan - but pretty much non-UNIX
> person.  So I would appriciate the command - to mount the disks on /mnt or
> /new_disk and how to read. I have data that I need to recover (websites
> content and configurations etc)_

...? How did you get OpenBSD installed without reading the FAQ and
understanding about MBR/fdisk and disklabel?
The command is not difficult to figure out, it should just take your
plugging of the disk in and a reading of the mount(1) manpage.

-Nick