Dieter <openbsd <at> sopwith.solgatos.com> writes:

> Sigh.  I could easily go on a major rant here, but it wouldn't do us
> any good.  Anyone have information or ideas that could get us closer
> to a solution?

Event log counter can be written every once in a while for example if S.M.A.R.T
automatic off-line data collection (ex. every 4h) is enabled (it is by default
and may include a list of last errors), temperatures, SER and others.

It appears to be theorically possible to effectively verify if a particular
drive is affected by the problem using S.M.A.R.T information (ie. attributes,
logs, etc) and that may also be used as workaround if there is a way to change
the event counter to a safe value (ie. not 320 or a multiple of 320 + x*256)
but we need more details (ex. specific data pattern) which were released by
Seagate under NDA to some partners/vendors. It might be possible to find out
by comparing/researching the S.M.A.R.T information (including some of the
vendor logs like 0xa1) from affected and non-affected drives matching basic
the requirements (7200.11/ES2.1/DiamondMax 22 both new and old firmware).

Log Directory Supported (this one is from an affected model)

SMART Log Directory Logging Version 1 [multi-sector log support]
Log at address 0x00 has 001 sectors [Log Directory]
Log at address 0x01 has 001 sectors [Summary SMART error log]
Log at address 0x02 has 005 sectors [Comprehensive SMART error log]
Log at address 0x03 has 005 sectors [Extended Comprehensive SMART error log]
Log at address 0x06 has 001 sectors [SMART self-test log]
Log at address 0x07 has 001 sectors [Extended self-test log]
Log at address 0x09 has 001 sectors [Selective self-test log]
Log at address 0x10 has 001 sectors [Reserved log]
Log at address 0x11 has 001 sectors [Reserved log]
Log at address 0x21 has 001 sectors [Write stream error log]
Log at address 0x22 has 001 sectors [Read stream error log]
Log at address 0x80 has 016 sectors [Host vendor specific log]
Log at address 0x81 has 016 sectors [Host vendor specific log]
Log at address 0x82 has 016 sectors [Host vendor specific log]
Log at address 0x83 has 016 sectors [Host vendor specific log]
Log at address 0x84 has 016 sectors [Host vendor specific log]
Log at address 0x85 has 016 sectors [Host vendor specific log]
Log at address 0x86 has 016 sectors [Host vendor specific log]
Log at address 0x87 has 016 sectors [Host vendor specific log]
Log at address 0x88 has 016 sectors [Host vendor specific log]
Log at address 0x89 has 016 sectors [Host vendor specific log]
Log at address 0x8a has 016 sectors [Host vendor specific log]
Log at address 0x8b has 016 sectors [Host vendor specific log]
Log at address 0x8c has 016 sectors [Host vendor specific log]
Log at address 0x8d has 016 sectors [Host vendor specific log]
Log at address 0x8e has 016 sectors [Host vendor specific log]
Log at address 0x8f has 016 sectors [Host vendor specific log]
Log at address 0x90 has 016 sectors [Host vendor specific log]
Log at address 0x91 has 016 sectors [Host vendor specific log]
Log at address 0x92 has 016 sectors [Host vendor specific log]
Log at address 0x93 has 016 sectors [Host vendor specific log]
Log at address 0x94 has 016 sectors [Host vendor specific log]
Log at address 0x95 has 016 sectors [Host vendor specific log]
Log at address 0x96 has 016 sectors [Host vendor specific log]
Log at address 0x97 has 016 sectors [Host vendor specific log]
Log at address 0x98 has 016 sectors [Host vendor specific log]
Log at address 0x99 has 016 sectors [Host vendor specific log]
Log at address 0x9a has 016 sectors [Host vendor specific log]
Log at address 0x9b has 016 sectors [Host vendor specific log]
Log at address 0x9c has 016 sectors [Host vendor specific log]
Log at address 0x9d has 016 sectors [Host vendor specific log]
Log at address 0x9e has 016 sectors [Host vendor specific log]
Log at address 0x9f has 016 sectors [Host vendor specific log]
Log at address 0xa1 has 020 sectors [Device vendor specific log]
Log at address 0xa8 has 020 sectors [Device vendor specific log]
Log at address 0xa9 has 001 sectors [Device vendor specific log]
Log at address 0xe0 has 001 sectors [Reserved log]
Log at address 0xe1 has 001 sectors [Reserved log]