Ted Unangst wrote:
You ran out of swap.

Thanks, Ted, for the fast reply and immediate insight. So it must have to do with that perl-program, since what I usually see is something like:
Memory: Real: 107M/347M act/tot  Free: 1637M  Swap: 0K/2151M used/tot

Slightly off-topic:
Would it rather be perl committing all that memory or httpd?
Can this be prevented one way or another?
I understand the development was done on some Ubuntu-flavour, and then transferred to OpenBSD. Can we have something like a sandbox for such situations, so that applications are running on the system, but with limited resources? The underlying application was supposed to run on a production machine with 100+ users, and at one moment in time it did need to be tested, after it ran successfully on a laptop. What would be a better strategy?

Thanks again,

Uwe
P.S.: And Hurray! to the serial console. I could do the trace and reboot an otherwise unaccessible and remote machine!