On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 5:47 PM, Nick Holland
<n...@holland-consulting.net> wrote:
> Amarendra Godbole wrote:
>> i recently started using intel wireless on my thinkpad x60, through
>> the wpi(4) driver. earlier, i had heating issues, which were resolved
>> by setting hw.setperf to 0, but now i again see my laptop heating up
>> -- especially below my right palm.
>>
>> temperature sensor outputs from sysctl shows:
>> hw.sensors.acpitz0.temp0=60.05 degC (zone temperature)
>> hw.sensors.acpitz1.temp0=60.05 degC (zone temperature)
>> hw.sensors.cpu0.temp0=58.00 degC
>> hw.sensors.wpi0.raw0=155 (temperature 0 - 285)
>> hw.sensors.aps0.temp0=57.00 degC
>> hw.sensors.aps0.temp1=57.00 degC
>>
>> wpi shows 155, which is roughly 68 deg C. is the heating because of
>> wpi? that's what has changed. any pointers to cooling down the laptop
>> will be appreciated. dmesg, if needed, is here
>> http://www.obscure.org/~amunix/tmp/dmesg
>
> ->
> OpenBSD 4.4-current (kernel) #11: Wed Jan 21 07:41:19 IST 2009
>    r...@zimbu.xxxxxxxx:/home/amar/site-specific/builds/kernel
>
> uh..
> what happens if you use a GENERIC snapshot rather than your
> Franken-kernel?  Seeing stuff like that causes people to lose
> interest really quickly.

Ummm, okay - its not the stock kernel, but I had the same heating
issue with stock kernel too. To confirm, will try with the stock and
then report my findings.

> Setting hw.setperf to 0 isn't a "resolution" but a burying the
> problem where you don't see it, for now...or then.  I don't think
> wpi is causing your problem, your system doesn't seem to be
> managing power properly, you buried the problem by reducing power
> consumption (and performance).

Agreed. After extensive searching, I came across a lenovo forum thread
which indicates that X60 series has the wireless card underneath the
right palm-rest, which makes them hot when wireless is being used.
Apparently this is a design issue with the X60, and the thread is
here:
http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/board/message?board.id=X_Series_Thinkpads&message.id=22&query.id=204119

Though, as you say, the real problem for OBSD is not addressed.
Earlier, the laptop used to heat up considerably even when using wired
connection (and wireless being disabled by h/w switch). Once
hw.setperf was set to 0, the heating became bearable (I was suggested
this workaround on misc@ itself). Since it did the trick, I did not
bother, until now when the heating re-surfaced. On Windows XP, the
laptop does NOT heat up so much, which means there is something else
with OBSD, than merely being an X60 problem.

I will investigate further with the stock kernel, and then will post
my findings. Thanks.

-Amarendra