I use getdropbox.com; 2gb free. They have windows and Mac clients, and
when I last checked they were planning to have a *nix client, but if
you're planning to tar things, their web interface should be more than
adequate. I can't vouch for their trustworthiness, but they seems to
have a decent handle on putting together a reasonably secure setup.

--
Systems Programmer, Principal
Electrical & Computer Engineering