Nice. Looks like my first attempt wasn't a total hack at all. Just an incomplete solution. :)

Thanks!

Jacob Meuser wrote:
On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 07:12:24PM -0600, Aaron Poffenberger wrote:
I've found that my USB harmon/kardon SoundSticks work with my x61. When I plug them in they're configured as /dev/audio1. The device works well. If I run `cat /dev/urandom > /dev/audio1` I hear static through the SoundSticks. I've also found that if I link /dev/audio to /dev/audio1 rather than /dev/audio0 all sound plays through the SoundSticks as well. It's a workable hack.

I don't see any obvious configuration changes I can make using mixerctl that will direct audio to /dev/audio1. With aucat I can use -f to select the device but that doesn't help when using mplayer. Perhaps I don't understand how to use mixerctl or aucat correctly.

Will someone point me in the right direction to play audio system wide through /dev/audio1 rather than /dev/audio0?

there are several device nodes for each real audio device: /dev/audioX,
/dev/soundX, /dev/audioctlX and /dev/mixerX.  there are corresponding
links for each of these: /dev/audio, /dev/sound, /dev/audioctl /dev/mixer.
by default, they all point to the first device (e.g. X == 0).  if you
change one, you should change them all.

I use a script like this:

<<<
#!/bin/sh

p=$1

ln -sf /dev/audio$p /dev/audio
ln -sf /dev/sound$p /dev/sound
ln -sf /dev/audioctl$p /dev/audioctl
ln -sf /dev/mixer$p /dev/mixer

exit 0
the first argument to the script is the audio device number.

alternatively, if you don't want to use your azalia(4) at all, you
could disable the azalia driver in UKC.