Steve Shockley wrote:
On 2/27/2009 8:43 AM, Laurent CARON wrote:
- Forcing speed on switch
- Forcing speed on nic

Why? This practice made sense when 10baseT gear from different vendors wasn't compatible, but not for the last 15-20 years.

This practice still makes sense, at least with broadcom cards.

I had spurious problems 2 years ago with a Gigabit Ethernet interface showing lots of error while using autoneg (hooked to a 3com switch or to a cisco one).

Those problems did instantly disappear after forcing the speed on both, the card AND the switch.

I always do force the speed on servers.

I don't say it is the only way to go, but my way to handle it.

Laurent