I use a Zonet ZEW2500P, which has a Ralink RT2570 chipset (ural).  It
costs US$30 or less.  Download and pkg_add the firmware mentioned in
the man page and it just works.  However, while the adapter itself is
small (like flip-phone small) it requires a USB cable.  It's not a
stick like the thumb-sized ones.