2009/3/9 J.C. Roberts <list-...@designtools.org>:
> On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 16:01:57 -0700 Hilco Wijbenga
> <hilco.wijbe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have pf running on my firewall box and I'm experiencing some strange
>> behaviour. After several hours (this may even be 24 hours) of
>> functioning normally, pf seems to reload its default rules which means
>> that from that point on all traffic is blocked. A simple "pfctl -f
>> /etc/pf.conf" fixes the problem but it is very annoying.
>
> ummm... no. Think about it for a moment. The default rules *are* stored
> in /etc/pf.conf --the very same file you are manually reloading, so
> it's obviously not magically reloading the "default rules" as you claim.

Ah, different semantics. :-) By "default rules" I mean whatever pf
does *without* an /etc/pf.conf. Probably something like "block all".

> What kind of connection are you running?
> Is your public IP address static or dynamic?
> More importantly, are you running some sort of
> tunneling/authentication such as PPPoE or simlar?

I use DHCP so my IP can change. It's not particularly "public" though.
My ISP gives me an IP in 192.168.1.*. :-( (A smart move on their part,
I guess [no more running out of IPv4 addresses for them] but not very
useful to me.)

> In sort my first guess is your IP is changing every 24 hours or so due
> to your service provider using dynamic addressing (and trying to
> prevent you from having a particular IP for too long). If I'm right,
> then your problem is that pf is holding on to the old rules for your
> old IP address even though your IP had changed. In other words, you
> have a configuration error.

That definitely makes sense. However, I thought that by referring to
an interface instead of an IP I was protected from that? I mean, it's
fairly common to have a dynamic IP, is it not?

Cheers,
Hilco