Mike wrote:
>> Installing 60 physical servers to give the students something to play
>> with is not fun :(
>>

> I am interested in a simalir situation, how did you achieve the 60 VM's?
>
> BTW, how many VM's can I setup using a fast/supped up laptop in a
> @home environment which would be something that one would setup in
> work environment.
>
> thanks

I would use a couple of Dell 2950's with 8/16GB of RAM and some big
disks.  Running ESXi or one of the other supported systems by these
tools, you can use something like MLN[1], oVirt[2], or OpenQRM[3] to
manage deploying "Lab" environments with standardized images.  VMware
and Citrix XenServer also have pay-for-play "Lab" management tools for
their respective systems.

On your laptop you can have as many VM's as you have disk space for.
The limiting factor to how many you can have running will probably be
how much memory you are limited to in your laptop.

[1] - http://mln.sourceforge.net/
[2] - http://ovirt.org/
[3] - http://openqrm.com/

Tim Donahue