On 2009/03/19 23:58, Mail Lists wrote:
> > Did you see what sort of packets they are? Broadcast or multicast or
> > something? I'm wondering why they would even hit your machine otherwise.
>
> They are multicast packets that are going to 224.0.1.24 which
> according to this:
>
> http://www.iana.org/assignments/multicast-addresses/
>
> is for microsoft-ds.

> Is there  perhaps something in this that lets me tell the
> administrator of the offending box what's going on since the network
> admin seems unwilling or unable to to so?

Maybe they can try turning off WINS.

Or maybe the network admin can filter out the multicast destination
MAC, if my working-out is right this should be 01:00:5e:00:01:18, but
you can check with tcpdump -e.

If they happen to use HP switches Henning wrote an article which
has a config example:

http://bulabula.org/carp-and-stp-meet-switch-security.html

> Anyways -this isn't really openbsd related any longer. Apologies if
> this is turning into noise.

dragging this back on topic, the above article is also useful if you
want to prevent carp traffic on certain switch-ports. :-)