On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 10:16:00 -0400 (EDT) Daniel Barowy
<m...@barowy.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Mar 2009, J.C. Roberts wrote:
> >
> > Any chance you know the brand name of the upgraded processor?
> >

> It's a FastMac.  1.2 GHz G4.  I _think_ the model # is APP-5582.
> FastMac seems to have removed most of the information for this
> upgrade from their website.
>
> > As for the missing serial (thanks Nick), I tracked down one vendor
> > who made the add-on connector used to enable the on-board serial.
> > It was generally called a "gPort" (also "g3Port" and "g4Port") and
> > was made by a company called Griffin Technologies. From my reading,
> > it seems there were a few different versions of the add-on
> > connector for the various Apple systems. I *think* some of them
> > replace the internal modem (RJ11).
>
> Interesting, thanks for the info.  Did you also happen to find out
> where to actually get one of these?

Dan,
The message below from Brynet was not threaded, so I'm not sure if you
missed it but it has a cool link!

> Hey,
>
> There is an interesting guide related to some guys effort at turning
> his old Mac into an OpenBSD router/firewall, he mentions the G4Port,
> so it may be useful.
>
> http://nuxx.net/wiki/Trashwall#G4Port
>
> That entire page is an interesting read, but that's just me.. I like
> stuff like that.
>
> -Brynet

As for buying one of these "gPort" devices, finding them for sale is
not easy, and as Nick mentioned, they're not cheap (usually priced
around $50 USD or so). Many of the places that sold them are currently
out of stock, but it seems I found one company that has them:

http://www.galaxyhp.com/Input/input_serial.html

You should read the text on the page to determine if your G4 Sawtooth
is an "early G4" or not.

--
J.C. Roberts