Am 26.03.2009 um 16:12 schrieb Theo de Raadt:

> They freaked out and did the wrong thing.

It was removed when I reported a bug in NETBSD-5-0 that would crash
the Kernel when you tried to use systrace. Instead of fixing that,
they removed it.

> systrace has a small problem.  It is a very difficult problem to fix
> because of the kernel system call argument fetching is spread so
> widely.  This problem was documented since the beginning:
>
> BUGS
>     Applications that use clone()-like system calls to share the
> complete ad-
>     dress space between processes may be able to replace system call
> argu-
>     ments after they have been evaluated by systrace and escape
> policy en-
>     forcement.

This sounds really hard to exploit, indeed.

> That said, this is not enough reason to entirely delete the code.  It
> still has uses.  With the other address space security changes we have
> made, the risks from this are subtantially mitigated.  You also cannot
> "gain root" except in extremely well crafted situations which are not
> real; systrace does have the ability to "grant root" unless you build
> the policy specifically to do such a stupid thing (actually, I am not
> certain if our systrace, the original, ever had that deluded ability
> of escalation; I think it was added by netbsd).

I couldn't really believe that you can gain root when the application
you systrace isn't running as root. Thanks for clarifying that.

I'm talking about this thread btw:
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2009/03/19/msg003309.html

The "gaining root issue" was mentioned here:
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2009/03/18/msg003300.html
and here:
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2009/03/19/msg003313.html

> So a project that does zero about real security issues overreacted --
> probably because the code had originally come from here.  Typical.
> One can only hope that some issue comes up in openssh, and that they
> then delete openssh, too.

Yes, that's definitely something I like about OpenBSD. You can't care
too much for security. But unfortunately, OpenBSD has some issues on
this machine :(.

--
Jonathan

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature which had
a name of PGP.sig]