I'm fairly certain that when adding a package from the FTP servers,
you need to specify enough info for the pkg_add module to
unambiguously request the right package -- i.e., version information
in this case.

What you've described hasn't convinced me that you're unable to
"connect to the internet" -- have you tried pinging a known address,
or resolving a hostname? Those are good indicators of where your
problems lie.

As to downloading packages, I usually don't bother setting package
path -- just pick a fast mirror, download a copy of its packages
directory for your architecture and version, and grab links off of
that page -- "sudo pkg_add -v ftp://<blahblah>/pkg-version.tgz" will
take care of the details for you

Marti