Hello:

I hope these questions are not off topic.  I have been working with the 4.4
release for the last few months (learning something new keeps brain cells
alive).  I got an old P2 or P3 (?) up and running as a firewall at home.  It
appears to be very stable, however, every 1 to 3 weeks or so, I get an email
from cron telling me that a script had a "segmentation fault" (I set up some
basic scripts, the one that seems to have this issue runs every 5 minutes,
scans authlog for failed ssh attempts, and enters those ip's into a
blacklist table for PF).  So, it's not a big deal, because 5 minutes later
it runs again, and is fine.
But, I was wondering, how concerned should I be about this?  I understand a
seg fault is pretty vague, and can mean any of a bunch of things (e.g.: a
corrupt memory cell).  So, this is not a "critical" system, but then again I
don't want to come home one day and spend time replacing it before I can get
my email.  Similarly, it doesn't happen often (once every 1-3 weeks), so, I
don't want to waste a bunch of time ripping the computer apart trying to
find the source of the error (if it's hardware), if the system is otherwise
stable, and this doesn't pose a substantial risk of failure.  Should I be
worried about this or not?

Second question:  Given my success with the first system, I started working
on another old computer (I don't know, maybe a fileserver).  While
installing and setting up 4.4, I added "powerdown=YES" to rc.shutdown, so it
would automatically powerdown on "halt."  However, when I have the system
halt, it shuts down cleanly, gets to the "powerdown" stage, I hear the disks
stop spinning, but, the power supply fan, and the CPU fan keep running.
Also, a video signal is still present (the monitor does not go to sleep).
So, I hit the power switch for a couple of seconds, and it powers off
completely.  APM is present and running.  This system is an old HP Pavilion
8580C (an ASUS motherboard, I guess).  I thought maybe there was a problem
with the power supply, so I replaced it with a different ATX power supply,
but same problem.  I would guess this is a problem with the motherboard's
APM, but I was wondering if there is any sort of workaround for this?

Thanks.

Bye - ted